Friday, July 13, 2007

The Monsoon Strikes Back.


It seemed a fairly innocuous venture. Can you blame me for feeling hungry at 2 am , however unearthly a time it may seem. So there we set off from college- me and my accomplice in crime -The Frumious Bandersnatch (name withheld for no particular reason) to grab something to eat at a place about 7kms from college, the Mukkam ‘Highway’ Restaurant. All pepped up for satiating our hungry gullets. Frumious brought down our loyal steed-a scrap value Kinetic Honda, which was not christened Bucephalus, owing to the second half of the name when pronounced, having vulgar carnal connotations.

It seemed fairly simple. We would drive to Mukkam, have food, come back, and go to sleep.

Or so we thought.

We reached The Mukkam ‘Highway’, but the guys over there weren’t serving that day due to a poor turnout of customers (usually goods truck and lorry drivers who travel in the night, and dubious scum-of-the-earths like Frumious and myself, who have a penchant for suddenly being hungry late in the night owing to their digestive juices working overtime and because they figured among the ‘Good Gluttony’ magazine’s “Top 10 Gluttons of the Year TM”.).

Cursing our luck, we started back. We had reached a place about 3kms from college when it started to rain. Rain? It poured. The pourest pour that’s ever poured! (Forgive my grammar, it Eats Shoots and Leaves.) Droplets pelting like a downpour of small rocks. Frumious, even with his awesome driving experience , couldn’t make out the road any further, not to mention the water drops really hurting our faces while it came down.

We were searching frantically for the nearest shelter. And there it was. The Marthoma Cathedral, a modest roadside church with fairly protecting roof eaves and grilled shutters. We parked our loyal steed outside and scampered to near the shutters and the protecting eave. I could make out the lanky figure of Jesus on the crucifix through the grills. “Poor guy that”, remarked Frumious. “Yeah, they don’t make ‘em no more like him”, I replied. We started small talk about college, GPAs and Dialectical Materialism and were having a jolly good time, when a voice boomed from somewhere.

”So you dorks got stuck after all, eh? Losers !”

Of course we don’t believe in ghosts except the kind that teach us in College, but this was unsettling, to say the least. We were looking through the grills into the Cathedral searching for the source, when the crucifixed Jesus spoke, “ No, you morons, look above at the sky! It’s the Rain God talking.”

Now, a talking clay Jesus, we could take, but a voice from the sky? “What’s next, Monica Belluchi doing a belly dance to the tune of ‘Kaliyon ka Chaman’, in front of us?”, I half-expectantly mused aloud.

.......*Reconstruction of the conversation that subsequently transpired*.......

Mr. RG (Rain God): “That’s right, dorks. Especially you, you tiny piece of thing-that-you-find-in-a-baby’s-diaper, who likes to cuss me in his blog ! You’ve got some nerve writing that piece of inconsequential banality. It’s me alright! Now how do you feel about the rain rendering you stuck at this wee hour of the morning, sucker?

Me: Eh, heh..heh..Hi, Mr. Rain God. I..I….’just figured that the weather always made a nice topic when you are out of conversation..heh..heh..*ulp!*

Mr. RG: Well, guess what.. It’s not! How do u feel about this big downpour falling down like it’s never did , doofy!? No one ever rubs me the wrong way, dork, and gets away with it!

Me: Heyy. So I did write something in my blog about you. But you should understand, man. I did have a shitty day back then with those incessant rains and all. And stop calling me a dork, will you!

Mr. RG: Dorky iggy boogy Dork. What do you fancy, as an addressal, your Highness King Dorky the 5th of Dorkesia?

Me: umm..how about Efficient Baxter. I’ve always fancied a name with an adjective in it. It would sound awesome.

FB (the aforementioned Frumious Bandersnatch), after nudging me, and in a low voice: Dude? stop kiddin’ around, man. Don’t incense him any further with your PJs. He could as well set upon us this deluge and have our pathetic bodies washed away in the flood.

Me: Wha..but I wasn’t kiddin’..

Mr. RG: You think you are smart, eh? Well, let me tell you, dork. Even discounting the fact that you bad mouthed me in your blog; your writing just absolutely sucks! What’s with the wannabe esoteric vocabulary that the aam junta wouldn’t understand, bloody dork?

Me: Well. Nothing could be more specious, Mr. RG. I would never resort to any subterfuge or rhetoric inter alia in a language that’s dubiously precocious, ostentatious and......

Mr. RG: Oh, shut it, dork. We use the “Chambers-Oxford-Cambridge Multi Lingual Talking Dictionary of the Languages of All Nations Of The Universe” up here, when thy pathetic prick is just toying around with an Oxford Dictionary. A concise edition at that. Bleeping Idiot!

Me: *gulp* Shit! He’s seen through me.

Mr. RG: Now listen up, arseshole. I’ve had a shitty day myself. There was this plebiscite up here in heaven, and I’ve been upstaged by this other Rain God no:23 who used to take care of the arid deserts of Sub-Saharan Africa. He’s going to take over the responsibility of delivering showers to this sub-continent of yours from now on, while I have to take his place in Africa. What a shitty transfer, I ask you! And with your levels of audacity, on top of it....I’ve a good mind to make you guys suffer from humiliating levels of misery.

Me: *sotto voce* There we go again. *non-sotto voce* Frankly, O Transferred Rain God, I didn’t intend to hurt your feelings one wee bit. But honestly , yeah, I do accept full responsibility and may I apologise for the sacrilege I’ve committed (yeah, well, now I have to apologise to this voice-over artist from up above!). I’m sorry.

Mr. RG (obviously cooling down when I coupled my previous monologue with an expression the 'Puss-in-boots' makes in the Shrek Movies): hm..well, ok. Apology accepted. You do seem to be a nice guy after all.

Me: Salt of the earth.

Mr. RG: Yeah..yeah, yea.. I must admit I was a bit grumpy and had to take it out of my system.

Me: Never would’ve guessed.

Mr. RG: hmm..well. I already feel sorry on myself for taking it on you guys.

Me: No problem at all. The reason we were born was to be at the receiving end when ye Gods have mood swings. ($@#%^&*!)

Mr. RG: Anyways, I gotta go now to deliver liberal doses of Rain at Company-Mukku*. The drains haven’t overflowed even once and blocked the roads over there this monsoon, I’m told. Have to make amends.

Me: Of course. Duty beckons, eh? Tellya what, to make it up to you, every monsoon I’ll do the Red Indian Rain Dance so you can laugh your ass off before making it rain down here. What’s more, I’ll even get baptized as Crazy Constipated Bull , as Red Indian names go, if it makes you happy.

Mr. RG: Spare me that misery, will you? Just write about our conversation in that blog thingy of yours, so that future generations of senile bloggers know who they are messing with when fancy strikes. Ok?

Me: Okey Dokey. But before you go, may I ask you something? Is it true that it rains ‘coz the Gods above are taking a leak.

Mr. RG: Well, we do have bladders working overtime, alright. Heh..heh..

Me: That settles it then. See you around Mr.Rain God. May you drench everyone to glory and endow them with ridiculous laundry bills.

Mr. RG: ‘Righty then, and your fly’s open, for Chrissakes!

Me: eh..heh….sorry. ‘Bye Mr. RG and so long .

FB: Buh-bye Mr. RG. GO Rains, wohooo.!!! *phew*

We got back to the hostel safe, but totally wet. The rains didn’t stop. It- just - didn’t - stop….



*Company Mukku is a place close to Kattangal, which again is the next bus-stop after the Calicut Regional Engineering College stop.

12 Comments:

At July 13, 2007 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Nasia said...

here thru Bullshee..,
Hahahha!!i liked the line where God asks you to mellow down ur language.. :-D
But i wud they keep up the exquisite lingo.. helps people improve their vocab..
It was funny... now goin to read wat u wrote to infuriate the Rain God..

 
At July 15, 2007 at 1:03 AM , Blogger Teal™ said...

Hey!
Around here we are waiting for the rain god to be bless us with rains .... so do ask him to drop by ... but not if it the case with bladders though :-)

 
At July 16, 2007 at 12:30 AM , Blogger Bullshee said...

Mwahahaha...glorious!

The Efficient Baxter from Blandings no doubt!

And I wonder why the RG quoted something I commented here! Hmmmm........

 
At July 16, 2007 at 3:12 AM , Blogger I'm done... said...

oru formalitykk vendi vaayichathaa!!!:P

can i borrow ur Oxford Dictionary (A concise edition)!!!

 
At July 17, 2007 at 2:48 AM , Blogger thebanalsprite said...

@Everyone: Am totally illiterate on blogging and cyber intricacies. So I may as well follow what the "Perpetrator of all things dubious and the hope for millions of those who are perpetrators of all things dubious" (like starting a blog, for example)- Bullshee, does.. With the "At the rate *insert name*" n all.. :)

@Nasia: Thank u for droppin in. So, was it infuriating enough? (I'd bet ki it was not, but them Gods are very touchy. Poor Immortal Souls!)

@Teal: Vanakkam..Vanakkam. 'Bin told about you by Messers Vivekananda Swamikal. Them RG's are pretty insensitive these days, not to mention prejudiced, true. I would recommend contactin' just about anyone from Tansen's lineage and get done with a rendition of the 'Megh Malhar'. Does wonders to all parched lands, it seems.
I could ask him tho, yes...but as u'd have made out, am not very convinced about that chap or he, about me..

@Bullshee: Ma Man! I really have no idea how RG can quote you verbatim. A relation of yours, perhaps? :D

@Aslam: Thank u Slum'bhai. Formalitykkaanenkilum kollaam! Will bring the Oxford Dic(the Concise one) along will all the DVDs that I'm yet to return to Thine Screwedness..

 
At July 18, 2007 at 6:14 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

was rather confused till i got to the multiple rain gods part.
After all, what could a truck driver be doing in the sky!

 
At July 18, 2007 at 7:03 AM , Blogger thebanalsprite said...

Oh, absolutely anything. Heard anyone ask-
"what the *bleep* was Lucy doing in the sky with the diamonds?"

(Already runnin' feverishly to avoid gettin lynched by the ppl readin this reply! :))

 
At July 23, 2007 at 7:50 AM , Blogger Adorable Pancreas said...

Nice post. :)

May I link to your blog?

 
At July 24, 2007 at 12:45 PM , Blogger thebanalsprite said...

Sure. Thanks for droppin' in. (btws, tryin to figure out what linkin to someones blog means, an incorrigible luddite that is me..:))

 
At July 25, 2007 at 8:16 AM , Blogger Bullshee said...

Post.Or die.

 
At August 12, 2007 at 11:34 PM , Blogger Bullshee said...

its a shame to see webspace go to waste....

 
At September 14, 2007 at 12:20 PM , Blogger the Monk said...

Ah, good to see fellow NITians blogging. Nice one, man. I suppose it would be too much to hope that you guys carry Popy kudas around at the middle of the night, eh?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home